A Travellerspoint blog


A Brief Visit

34 °C

We arrive in Hue at about 6pm still a bit shaken from the mishap with the 'Çrazy Lady' tailor in Hoi An. We fought off the usual crowd of moto drivers and went in search of a hotel. We only had one night here and were resigned to the fact that we were not going to see it in daylight as we had an early flight the next morning. After finding a hotel and having awesome pasta for dinner we diceded to wander into the citadel.

'It's just over the bridge' Matt says and off we wander and continue to wander and yet again continue to wander..... After about and hour and a half of 'just over the bridge' we arrive at the narrow bridge that will take us into the citadel. One lane bridge with no footpaths and with 2 lanes of traffic, oh and its dark with no streetlight about. We inch across with our bodies pressed against the stone wall but still manage to admire how pretty it all looks. Once we get in everything quietens down and we are presented with everything that looks like it could belong in an imperial city. It is a beautiful place to be - even at 11pm. We walked over the second bridge and were confronted by locked gates. We couldn't get into the main part of the citadel. It was a bit upsetting but it was still a beautiful moment. We were alone on a bridge at almost midnight looking up at the no longer jeweled but still magnificent gates to an imperial city. The moon was full and the river spotted with lotus flowers. We sat and marveled for quite some time and then made our way back to the hotel..

We decided to get a cyclo as we hadn't done it yet (even in Cambodia). We found this bloke who was more than happy to take us both and bartered him down. I felt really good about it all as we set off. I soon realized it was all uphill and felt terrible! This poor bloke he was a sweaty mess by the time we arrived at the hotel. We gave him a bit extra and his face lights up as he tells us he is going to buy a beer.

We get up stupidly early to get the shuttle bus to the airport where we sit and wait for about an hour (Matt was so impressed with this) We finally get to security and are put on a bus. I figure that our plane is out on the tarmac somewhere too far to walk.. The bus took us about 100m. It was the funniest thing. It would have been quicker to walk then load and then unload everyone on and off this bus.....

And this pretty much sums up our brief but still memorable experience in Hue!!

Posted by katbet123 19:17 Archived in Vietnam Tagged backpacking

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint